At times a spreadsheet created by another (albeit brilliant Excel practitioner) can be confusing. The Data Validation tool can help make your worksheets more useful to others. Use this tool to simply add a pop-up window displaying documentation whenever the cell is selected.
Excel 2007 users can follow these steps:
1. Select the cell for the pop-up to appear
2. Click the Data tab of the ribbon
3. Select the Data Validation tool and resulting Data Validation dialog box
4. Choose the Input Message tab
5. Check the Show Input Message When Cell is Selected
6. Enter a title for the pop-up window
7. Enter the text of the documentation in the Input Message
8. Click OK
Give a helping hand to your spreadsheet users. Pop-ups can be a good thing!